Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Fountains at Schlossplatz


This post is dedicated to the memory of Trish, a wonderful photographer from Canada, who had such appreciation for and gave the most supportive and encouraging words to the rest of us regarding our own photography. I will miss your kind words, Trish. Fly high!


North fountain in front of the Neues Schloss (New Palace) in Stuttgart

The two massive fountains that grace the park in front of the New Palace in central Stuttgart are quite beautiful. And they are huge. They date back to 1863, the year before King Wilhelm I died at Rosenstein Palace, not too far away.



The fountains were meant as birthday gifts to His Majesty. At the base of each fountain are four figures, each representing the four of principal rivers that flow through what is today the federal state of Baden-Württemberg. As there are two fountains, that of course brings the total number of such figures to eight, although there are many more than eight rivers in Württemberg.


The names of the rivers represented on the fountain to the left, when facing the palace, are the Jagst, Donau, Tauber and the Nagold. On the fountain to the right, which is to the south, are the Neckar, Kocher, Fils and Enz.  The fountains were cast in Wasseralfingen, which is today a part of the city of Aalen.








3 comments:

  1. Hi, just wanted to say that your photos are brilliant. Keep up the good work. Do you mind sharing what camera you are using? - Reader from Singapore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi "Reader from Singapore" - Thank you for your kind words. Actually, I used my Samsung Galaxy! I only use either my Samsung Galaxy or my iPhone for all the shots I now take. They take great photos. Of course, I have a little fun with photoshop apps, or simply edit the photos on the phone itself.

      Delete
  2. Hallo, sehr schöner Blog, ich habe Ihren Beitrag gelesen. Es ist sehr informativ und nützlich. Vielen Dank für das Posten und Teilen mit uns. Ihr Schreibstil ist sehr schön
    Boxhandschuhe

    ReplyDelete

Detour into the Principality of Liechtenstein

When I first started this blog some years ago, I began by committing to my own photos, stories and historical explanations of places locate...